In advance of the International Pool | Spa | Patio Expo™, co-located with Deck Expo (PSP/Deck Expo), Pool & Spa Professional caught up with George Hedley CSP CPBC.
Hedley, the owner of Hardhat BIZCOACH Presentations, is leading a session "How to Find, Recruit, Attract, Hire, Motivate and Retain Great Talent" on Thursday, Nov. 18 from 7:30-9 a.m.
The session will focus on building a workplace that attracts and retains the best employees by making people the No. 1 asset.
It will also explore developing a talent development program to attract and hire the right people, determine what kind of players you want, and what positions you need to fill.
Topics include the hiring process, placing hiring ads, interview questions, referral incentive programs, indoctrination, position descriptions and compensation packages.
"Building a great place to work is now the top priority of every construction business owner," Hedley told Pool & Spa Professional "Every company has a shortage of trained workers. Workers are leaving companies for better opportunities for growth, culture, training, advancement and more money.
"I am passionate about consulting and coaching construction business owners by helping them build profitable companies," he continued. "Developing, retaining and hiring talent is one of their top priorities to be successful. Therefore I have developed programs to help them attack this problem.
"The show allows me to help numerous contractors in large workshop formats. My goal is to help them become successful in their business and bottom line," Hedley concluded.
Thursday’s education schedule at the PSP/Deck Expo:
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: 5 Keys to a Lasting Positive Sales Attitude
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: B331: Job Costing for Profit Versus Existence
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: C225: Quality Shotcrete Placement for Pool Contractors
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: D111: Small Space Design
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: Electricity, Bonding and Controls for Service Professionals
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: How Google Has Changed Since Covid and What To Expect for 2021 Online
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: How to Find, Recruit, Attract, Hire, Motivate and Retain Great Talent
- 7:30-9:00 a.m.: Successfully Integrating Pools & Water Features into the Landscape
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Finding Leaks - Turn Headaches into Profits
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Hidden Design - The Importance of Designing Things You Can't See
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Making Time Count (Time Management for People Who Don't Think They Need Time Management)
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Pro-Active Systems & Strategies To Achieve Construction Project & Field Production Results
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Should I use Borates in Pools?
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Swimming Pool Structural Failures: How to Avoid Them and How to Fix Them
- 9:15-10:30 a.m.: Take your Retail Game to the Next Level- Top 10 Retail Pitfalls to Avoid
- 10:45-11:30 a.m.: Deck Lateral Load Reinforcement
- 11:00-11:45 a.m.: Railings and Stairs
- 11:00 a.m.-noon: SERVICE 2311: Automating a Service Dept.
- 11:00 a.m.-noon: Small Group Discussion
- 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Next Level Connection Tips and Trick for Web-Based Automation for the Pool & Spa Industry
- 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Deck Guardrail Post to Frame Connections
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: The “Ins and Outs” of Chlorine Delivery Systems
- 12:30-1:15 p.m.: Resisting Rot, Decay and Corrosion
- 12:30-1:30 p.m.: How to Create & Execute a Growth Plan
- 1:00-1:45 p.m.: Sizing and Designing Wood Deck Beams
- 1:30-2:00 p.m.: Pool Prize Party
- 1:30-2:15 p.m.: Ask a Deck Expert
- 1:45-2:30 p.m.: Sizing Wood Deck Joists and Critical Installation Details