In advance of the International Pool | Spa | Patio Expo™, co-located with Deck Expo (PSP/Deck Expo), Pool & Spa Professional caught up with Alicia Stephens. Stephens, Education and Training Manager at Biolab, Inc., a KIK Custom Products Company, will lead a session titled “Saltwater Pool Troubleshooting: Beyond the Equipment.” This seminar will focus on the chemistry issues common to saltwater pools and will provide clear troubleshooting ideas to the problems.
P&S Pro: Why are you excited to address the PSP+Deck Expo audience?
Stephens: I always welcome the opportunity to address the leaders of our industry and have a chance to offer training that can make their lives easier and their businesses more successful. The greatest part about talking to people about chemicals is that I can impact every aspect of the industry: pools, spas, swim spas, retailers, service professionals and builders.
P&S Pro: What are some of the main points audience members will walk away from your session with?
Stephens: The main takeaway I want the audience to understand is that when there is trouble with a saltwater pool chemistry is often a contributing cause to the issue. Adding more salt or assuming a cell is not functioning properly tends to be the default approach to troubleshooting salt pools when often problems can be fixed with water balance, chemistry and testing.
P&S Pro: What are some of the greatest challenges to saltwater pool troubleshooting?
Stephens: The greatest challenge to anything that has to do with saltwater pools is remembering that they are just another form of a chlorine pool. Anything that can go wrong in a traditional chlorine pool can also go wrong in a saltwater pool. Treatments for things like cloudy water, chlorine demand and algae are not different for saltwater pools than they are with traditional chlorine pools. The only difference is that we are delivering the sanitizer in a different format.
“Saltwater Pool Troubleshooting: Beyond the Equipment,” will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 16, from 7:30 –8:45 a.m. at the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center in Dallas.
To learn more about this session, or the other educational offerings at the PSP/Deck Expo, click here.
Tuesday’s education schedule at the PSP/Deck Expo:
- 7:30–8:45 a.m.: B306: Elements of Litigation
- 7:30 –8:45 a.m.: Best Practices for an Optimized Service Department
- 7:30 –8:45 a.m.: C125: Fiberglass Construction
- 7:30–8:45 a.m.: D109: Design Fees – Charging for Design
- 7:30–8:45 a.m.: Deck Design for Hot Tubs
- 7:30–8:45 a.m.: E151: Do's and Don'ts of Engineering
- 7:30–8:45 a.m.: Saltwater Pool Troubleshooting: Beyond the Equipment
- 7:30–8:45 a.m.: Selling During & After A Pandemic: Coming Out Stronger
- 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.: ASA Curso de educación para el lanzador de concreto (shotcrete) Presentado por la American Shotcrete Association (ASA)
- 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.: ASA Shotcrete Nozzleman Education Course Presented by the American Shotcrete Association (English)
- 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.: NPC’s Start-Up Technician Certification Course
- 9:00–10:20 a.m.: It’s a Water-full Life
- 10:45–11:30 a.m.: Picture-Perfect Baluster Layout
- 11:00 a.m.–11:45 a.m.: Footings, Post Bases and Post to Beam
- 11:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m.: D235: The Impact of Color on Your Brand
- 11:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m.: PHTA Apprenticeship Program For the Service Industry. Powered for You!
- 11:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.: Jandy Variable Speed Pumps Installation, Programming and the New Dedicated Purpose Pool Pump Regulations with Hands-on Instruction
- 11:15 a.m.–12:15 p.m.: Exposing Dangerous Drains – Renovation of a Commercial Pool
- 11:30 a.m. –12:15 p.m.: Leak-Proof Ledger Flashing
- 11:45 a.m.–12:30 p.m.: The 3 Critical Aspects of a Tried and True Ad Plan to Grow Your Retail Business
- 12:30 p.m.–1:30 p.m.: Advanced Oxidation Process
- 12:30–1:30 p.m.: C352: Splash Pad Construction
- 12:30–1:30 p.m.: D325: Mind Reading Your Clients
- 1:00–1:45 p.m.: Deck Ledger Attachment: Codes and Installation Practices
- 1:00–2:30 p.m.: Next Level Connection Tips and Trick for Web Based Automation for the Pool & Spa Industry
- 1:30–2:15 p.m.: Ledgers
- 1:45–2:30 p.m.: Challenging Deck Ledger Installations - and Solutions
- 1:45–2:30 p.m.: From Search to Sold - 100% Digitally
- 2:00–3:00 p.m.: BUSINESS 2231: Create a Culture of Accountability
- 2:00–3:00 p.m.: D215: Intro to Pool Photography
- 2:00–3:00 p.m.: E312: Understanding Water Current
- 2:30–3:15 p.m.: Lateral Connections
- 3:00–4:30 p.m.: Introduction to ION Pool Care Software
- 3:15–4:00 p.m.: Deck Lateral Load Reinforcement
- 3:30–4:15 p.m.: Railings and Stairs
- 3:30–4:30 p.m.: C310: Interview with a Master
- 3:30–4:30 p.m.: Enhancing Your Digital Footprint
- 4:00–4:45 p.m.: Sizing Wood Deck Joists and Critical Installation Details